What is the minor?
- An exciting interdisciplinary program that provides students with knowledge, skills, and opportunities to engage as citizens and community members in the 21st century
- A supplement to students’ major expertise that provides greater breadth of experiences for personal growth and public good
- An opportunity for students to distinguish themselves through training in how to use knowledge to improve individual, community, and society level outcomes
- An exciting way to build connections, friendships, and collaborations with students and faculty from diverse disciplines across the entire UCI campus
Who can enroll?
- All undergraduate students on campus are eligible, regardless of major
- Students who want to make a difference in our world, at the local, national, or international level, are especially encouraged
What is required?
- Within the minor are the leadership track and poverty track that provide even greater range of hands on experiences and opportunities for students.
- Students are highly recommended to take Uni Stu 110 – Philanthropy in the Community, which count as an elective course despite which track students declare. This course introduces the role of community engagement, social action and philanthropy; examines theories and practices of philanthropy, and strategies for social changes; and involves hand-on engagement with philanthropy in the form of students making decisions about the distribution of a real fund.
- The required internships or field placements, and service learning courses offered across the campus meet the internship requirement.
- Students can petition to have other courses count as electives so long as the courses’ content is consistent with the goals of the minor.
- Up to two courses from the major can count towards the minor
How do I find out more information?
- Check out the Blum Center Website (under education)
- Read about the minor in the course catalogue
- Plan your requirements with this sample form
- Email me (email@example.com) your questions
- Follow us on twitter @ucicce or like us on Facebook: UCICCE